The Document Management Systems (DMS) team serves the university by enhancing business and academic business processes by providing information technology support for the systems that securely store and deliver digital documents and resources.
We recognize that paper documents are an integral component of many campus processes. These documents are often used to supplement the information found in the University’s enterprise database systems. Documents are usually part of a business workflow that ensure proper notifications are made, administrative actions are taken, and required approvals are obtained.
DMS supports several tools to reduce paper based content, saving storage space, time and reducing cost. By indexing, tagging, and securely storing documents, images and information, they can be easily located and retrieved, and routed for proper review and approval.
If you need service with any of the products that we support please submit a request for service through TeamDynamix.
DMS supports the following technologies:
- Banner Document Management (BDM) and Banner Workflow systems are used as the primary enterprise document management system, making university documents accessible to the community and routing documents and information as required.
- The Discovery Commons Research Repository is a digital imaging and archiving system used for storing and preserving collections associated with research at Virginia Tech. DMS staff work with the Digital Imaging and Archiving department to develop and support the Discovery Commons system, an implementation of the VITAL digital asset management product from Visionary Technology in Library Solutions (VTLS).
- JIRA is an issue tracking system from Atlassian. Issues can represent tasks, ideas, and requests that are often hiding in documents, people's heads, and in email. JIRA is used to capture, track and organize issues, prioritize them, take action, and stay up-to-date with the status of those issues.
- Confluence team collaboration tool from Atlassian is our enterprise 'wiki' solution. It is used for team collaboration, information sharing, and knowledge capture.
- DMS also provides support and development services for the Information Technology Acquisitions (ITA) department. Our mission for supporting digital asset management includes supporting software and application storage and distribution services, as well as helping to keep the university in compliance with software license agreements. Our support of ITA also includes image storage and business process support for the Computer Purchasing department.